Studying in Finland: the main differences with the Dutch system

 
I have been studing physiotherapy for the last 3 years in The Netherlands.
I was so excited about the opportunity of coming to Finland for a semester as an Exchange due to the fact that Finland is famous all over the world for the high level of education and the quality of the health care system.
 
Studying in Finland has been very interesting.
Since day one I noticed that the the classes, the methods students use in order to get their knowledge and prepare for exams is very different from what I am used to.
First, the cycle of studies here in Finland lasts 3 years, in The Netherlands is 4 in total.
Where I study (in the Netherlands) the theoretical classes are more during the week and the time we spend reading books and articles is endless.
Here in Finland this is not the same. The theory is important but not as much as the practical skills.
I was impressed by the level of professional attitude of the students I met during my internship period at the hospital. Finnish students spend many many more hours in the hospitals/practice places than what we do, in this way they master the job since they are at the beginning of their career.
I think that in our profession (physiotherapist) the manual and practical skills are very important, for this reason I appriciated this type of learning method they have here. I believe is a very realistc way to get ready to be a professional.
Another big difference with the Dutch system is the freedom Finnish students have during their studies.
In a way, Finnish students are treated more like 'adults'. Rarely there are homeworks or specific assignments during the course. Finnish students have to look for info, articles, sources and references by them self.
In the Netherlands we usually have very specific tasks and strict guidance from our professors.
The way exams are graded differs as well.
Here in Finland the students decide which course they have to follow and collect credits during the year.
For us in the Netherlands the course is fully organized, the schedule is fix and compulsory for all the students, in this way, at the end of the year we all have the same credits, the same knowledge and the same level of experience.
Overall, It is hard to say if the Finnish method is better than the Dutch or viceversa but, knowing about them both enriched me as a person and as a student.
This is actually  one of the main point why I decided to do the Erasmus esperience.
I was willing to learn to approach my studies and other things of daily life in different manners, recognizing the differences and taking the best from them all.

I appriciated the courses TUAS organized expecially for Erasmus students.
Language course and culture and costumes courses were very interesting and usefull.
I know for sure that nothing like this is organized for foreign students by my home University
Getting some insight about the uses of the hosting country is extremely useful in order fo adapt and be accepted by the locals.
 
 
 

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog