Cultural differeneces: Being a Young adult in Italy and in Finland

During my Exchange in Finland I have heard many thinks that are part of the Finnish culture and sound very different from the Italian one.

Talking to some Finnish friends, one of the things I was surprized to hear was about being a Young adult here in Finland.

Since the age of 18, people leave their home and their families and move to other cities to study or work.
Even if their occupation is close to the parents's house city or in the same city, young adults move away. Young Finns are in charge of finding a new place for them self and pay for it and their needs.

For the Finnish people, being older than 18 and living with the family it is seen like something wrong and despicable.
A Young adults who decides to stay at home with the parents should be ashamed and the person is considered as an immature individual.

In Italy (especially in the South), this is very different.
I personally moved away to study abroad, supported economically by my parents, when I was 18 but, all my friends and people I now of my age from my home town did not do the same as me.


Staying and living at home with the parents untill you have your job or your own family is considered as normal. Leaving is unusual.

Parents and kids may actually struggle with such a change. Tha values related to the family are very strong in Italy and the concept of 'unity' is essential.



Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog